Saturday 4 April 2015

Strawberries and option paralysis

After rebuilding my strawberry patch last year, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the results. It didn't provide a huge number of strawberries and those that were produced weren't great shakes in the taste department. After having gone through the effort and worked hard to keep pests away, this was slightly disappointing.

However, a little bit of research came up with a few reasons why and a lot of them were very easily fixed. I recently acquired the new James Wong book, Grow for Flavour (which I would thoroughly recommend to all and sundry), in which he's done research, experiments and read a lot of scientific papers to find the tricks and techniques to get the most out of growing your own. Like LifeHacking for gardening.

One of the major issues is sunlight. I got unexpectedly excellent results from a pre-made hanging basket of strawberries that I picked up from a garden centre and after a bit of thought, I realised why. The strawberry bed was against the 4ft high garden fence to next door, which is north-facing, whereas the hanging basket was south-facing. Now, I know plants like sunlight (I'm an expert, you know), but I hadn't realised a few extra hours sun could make such a difference to the flavour of a fruit. According to Mr Wong's research, strawberries in full sun are up to 7x sweeter than those in shade and the difference was noticeable in my garden.

In addition, the quality of varieties available to grow differs wildly. I'd kinda assumed garden centres would only sell nice varieties, but the majority of ones available were Elsanta or Sonata, which are the ones that supermarkets use. They're not terrible, but they're cultivars that are optimised for a) durability in transport, b) shelf-life, and c) size, with taste coming a long way down the list of priorities. Apparently they sell from garden centres because people want to buy what they're used to seeing in the supermarkets, which strikes me as a bit weird; I like growing my own cause it gets me something different to what I can get in supermarkets.

The varieties in my bed weren't bad ones, but they weren't the best ones out there either. That, combined with the need to move to sunnier climes has led to me scrapping the whole bed and starting again.


I have two distinct sections of garden around my house - the useful garden, where the vegetables grow, and the pretty garden, which is mostly non-functional except for a couple of fruit trees. The agreement with my wife is that the vegetable beds can expand as I like, as long as they don't broach the border into the pretty garden. The only problem is that the pretty garden gets the most sunlight and there was nowhere really in the useful garden that they could go. So my wife has rather foolishly allowed the strawberries to make their home just on the edge of the pretty garden. I don't think she realises what she's done.

The thin end of the wedge. Soon, it'll be all, "Hey sweetheart, you know how strawberries were allowed as an exception? Well, courgettes are a flowering plant too and they're really very pretty in their own right..."

I'm once again experimenting with vertical gardening, after last year's efforts ended in total failure. The above rather nifty wooden planters came from e-Bay and cost £22 each - they hook over and hang from the top of the fence and are just the right size for a strawberry plant each. The plants for these ones are Snow Whites, which are one of the ones recommended by James Wong. They also have the advantage of being white-coloured, which means birds don't recognise them as food, so no netting required.


One thing to look out for when buying strawberries - there are listings on Amazon and Etsy and e-Bay for strawberry seeds for berries of weird and wonderful colours: blue, black, yellow, etc. Unfortunately, these are all scams. You buy a seed packet for £2 a go and by the time you've grown them and found they're ordinary strawberries (or worse, whatever weed seeds were easily available to the vendor), any refund period has long since expired. Be careful when buying seeds online!

Anyway, going back to more normal coloured strawberries, my other varieties are Buddy, Red Gauntlet, and Honeyoye (latter two available from Homebase, whose website is rubbish). These, unfortunately, are visible to birds and so need to be underneath netting if we want to see any of them.

Thoroughly covered in garden netting and thus entirely secure against any birds or Peters who might want to get at the strawberries.

As I've mentioned before, I hate garden netting. It tangles as soon as you look at it, hooks around everything but the thing you actually want to fix it to and has two possible settings - a) fly off in the wind and trip up Peter when he next goes through the garden or b) so tightly secured that it's impossible for me to actually get in when I need to harvest or tend the plants. I'm hoping this teepee thing will work, although history doesn't lend itself to that hope.

The upshot of all this strawberry manoeuvring is that I now have a 2m x 1m vegetable bed sitting empty in the garden and I've found myself a little bit lost for ideas as to what to put in it.


This is very odd for me, as I'm usually complaining about not having enough space, but the bed's not very deep, so it doesn't lend itself to root vegetables or tomatoes. As for brassica, I already have my plan laid out for the space I have, which will give me 7 broccoli, 2 cauliflowers, 7 swedes 3 cabbages and 5 winter brassica, as well as 2 courgettes, 7 sweetcorns, 16 runner beans and 5 broad beans! So I'm a little unsure of what more I could actually need!

Added to this, the very fact of having space is leaving me with option paralysis - I'm just not used to being able to plant more than I planned for. Actually planting more than I planned for is a regular occurrence, but having the space for it is weird.

I've settled on using the space for three more cauliflowers, an extra broccoli, and some more beans and courgettes (sort of a two sisters approach). The first one is because I live in hope of actually seeing a viable home-grown cauliflower one day and the last three because they are massively productive and easy to freeze, so I'm hoping they'll to fill my freezer and enable me to last slightly longer through winter this year.

PJW

No comments:

Post a Comment