Tuesday 4 March 2014

Magical growing things

I love the first seedlings of the season. It's always amazing to me that any of my seeds come up at all; it still seems like magic to put a little ball into dirt and have that turn into a real live growing thing.



The carrots have developed a distinct sideways slant after having been kicked out from the sweet spot under the light by my new treasures. Sod them - they can grow or not, whatever. I've got cabbages on the go now!
Hopefully not how I'll treat my daughter if we ever make her a sibling.

That's like a real plant now. And it's not dead from lack of light. Go improvised sunlamp!

I now have all four cabbage seedlings growing, which is annoying cause the plan only called for two from this batch; I only planted four on the expectation that they wouldn't all come up. On the down side, only one of the six cauliflowers is showing its head and neither of the lettuces. This could be just a quirk of the seeds and the others will be up in a couple of days. It could also be that those seed packets are compromised and I need to get some more. Hard to tell and if I leave it too long then I won't be able to harvest for May, which will apparently be when I'll be eating nothing but cabbage.

I'll be planting the next batch of seeds tomorrow anyway and hopefully I'll get some more cauliflower from this batch.

PJW

No comments:

Post a Comment